Friends
I really like my friends but I'm getting tired of them.
Don't get me wrong, they're all good people. But, they like to live the fast life and I'm in a "quiet" place right now.
If I count them on my fingers, I pretty much have my core group. There's the couple that mirrors us in that he's an artist/DJ and she's a woman with varied interests and both raising a child. The confirmed bachelorette who can only stand to have people at her house at most 2 hours. The not-sure bachelorette juggling 3 boyfriends at a time, who is constantly on the go and tries to drag me along for the ride. The DJ and his wife, who have mastered the art of getting friends to hang out at their house; wish I had the same skill. The actress-turned-director who is endlessly working on project after project. The makeup artist who continually wishes to make me over into something I am not. The masseuse who is very much the type of person I would like to hang out with more but either she's in classes or I am. The scientist who likes to take me along for events because she doesn't have time to meet people and I make it easier for her.
Throughout the month of April, I have been telling people I am busy with "events". I have been trying to make more time for myself by going to only one event a month. Then, there's the joint events I go to with hubby. Add, birthday parties and...well, you get the point. It starts to add up.
I've been avoiding them.
I have been trying to set up a monthly potluck based out of my house. I just don't want to leave it. I'm content with sitting at home with barbecued veggie skewers and an ice cold beer. Sometimes, you just need to mellow out and hang out with your friends. Sit, talk, laugh.
I miss them.
Now, I'm starting to get sucked back in. I have a chance to to hang with a good friend tomorrow but I really don't want to hang with strangers - even celebrities - just to see a friend. 'Ooh, you know who's in town, pssss-pssss-pssss, and we're going to hang out at psss-psss-psss.' Fuck it. How about just coming over to visit me for 10 freaking minutes like a normal person?
I am pissed at all of them.
One of them would really like to believe that it's about the kids and that I'm just turning into a "MOM", says it like it's a bad thing. The reality is that it has nothing to do with the kids. They have long since gone to bed by the time any one of my friends picks me up. It's just getting old. There's lots of fun stuff to do during daylight hours but I never see them because they get up at the crack of noon.
I don't see them as much as I'd like.
Just got the latest edition of the DJ's CD and he's going to present it at a listening party. He added some of my favorite types of music and asked if I was impressed. Sure. I asked when he's coming out to see us. "Oh, you know me, it's fucking busy these days. I'll catch you at the club at 11, fo' sho'."
*sigh*

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home